Careers at Austin ConsultantsLooking for a varied, stimulating and rewarding career opportunity?
Work with us
Austin Consultants is a company built on integrity, excellence, and innovation. These values guide us as we aim to realise our ambition of building a world-class technology company. If you are an engineer aspiring to work with cutting-edge technology and thrive on challenge, please contact us. We will provide you with the freedom to learn, create and achieve. The Austin Consultants environment will nurture your skills and creativity, helping you develop professionally and personally.
Responding to applications
We receive an extremely high number of applications and CVs for the jobs that we advertise. Please be assured that we do review every application that we receive but unfortunately we are unable to respond to each one individually. If we feel that your CV is compatible with a role advertised we will contact you within two weeks of receiving your CV to arrange a follow-up. If you do not hear from us within two weeks, please assume that your application has not made it through to the next stage. If you are specifically looking for LabVIEW Development roles then you may be interested in registering your details with our sister company, Austin Resourcing who are a specialist LabVIEW Recruitment Agency. You can either visit their website to view current vacancies and register or contact them directly on 0800 772 0695 or email email@example.com.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
Recruitment agency policy
Austin Consultants employment opportunities are only open to direct candidates, all agency CV’s will not be considered and will be discarded. Due to the large volume of cold calls and email spam received from agencies, it is now company policy not to respond to them.
We invest in our team and help them reach their career goals by continually supporting them to develop their skills. We believe that skills deserve recognition, and aim to ensure that individuals receive industry certification for their specialised area of expertise.
We actively share best practice within the team and keep up to date on the latest LabVIEW developments. We collaborate internally to develop frameworks and tools to assist the LabVIEW community.
Within our team, we are able to offer a huge amount of experience across many programming languages Where appropriate we choose LabVIEW because of its graphical interface, which makes it easier and quicker to build functionality and therefore better value for our clients.
Quality & Service
As a company, we highly value Customer Happiness, Service, Quality and Reputation. We pride ourselves on our reputation within the industry and have measures in place to continually strive to improve this standing.
Our Current Vacancies
We are waiting to hear from you! We are currently looking for the following talented individuals:
Systems Engineer - Snr System Engineer (LabVIEW) £25,000 – £50,000.
Ideally, based in our northern office, in Sheffield, although being situated at our Bristol or London office will be considered.
The entry point for joining as a System Engineer or Snr System Engineer will be dependent on your technical knowledge and proven capabilities in the relevant areas to successfully undertake the duties and responsibilities. We take pride in our culture built around creating an environment promoting and actively encouraging progression through support and self-development, so are looking for like-minded individuals with drive, determination and a results-focused attitude.
Joining our Systems Engineering Department, you’ll be part of a team that is responsible for developing both hardware and software solutions, based on object-oriented technology and event-based architectures, primarily in the LabVIEW programming language and on the National Instruments hardware platforms.
You will help customers across a wide range of industries with a diversity of issues, from getting started with LabVIEW software, programming and debugging, to the onsite commissioning of complex systems including distributed embedded systems. You will also be involved with projects such as creating demos and developing proof of concepts. You must exhibit strong problem-solving, communication and business acumen skills alongside a passion for technology. You will gain a privileged insight into engineering practices across a wide range of industries and will be part of an expert team providing consultancy on system requirements.
Our Senior System Engineers take on responsibility for leading projects acting as the primary technical contact to the client, including architectural design, project management through full project lifecycle and managing internal project teams. The complexity and size of projects will increase based on an individual’s skills and capabilities. They are also expected to be able to handle commercial project-related discussions, including response to RFQ’s, requirements qualification and costings, with the client.
Duties & Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of these positions include, but are not limited to;
- Programming memory and speed efficient applications using LabVIEW, object-oriented programming and event-based architectures.
- Developing intuitive graphical user interfaces.
- Selecting the correct measurement hardware for a given application based on a customer’s specification.
- Providing timely, accurate and effective solutions to technical problems.
- Providing guidance on the installation and working functionality of both software and hardware, including an explanation of configuration settings.
- Troubleshooting problems and incompatibilities in both software and hardware.
- Delivering professional and high quality, customer education courses.
- Delivering technical presentations and demonstrations to customers, colleagues and partners.
- Maintaining up to date awareness of all competitive products and how they compare technically with Austin Consultants’ core products and technologies
- Working with the business development team to develop proof of concepts and Quotations for customers.
- Flexibility to travel throughout the UK, including at short notice 50% of the time
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Minimum 2.1 honours degree in engineering or science related field, such as electrical/electronic engineering, physics, mechatronics, mechanical or computer science.
- Minimum of LabVIEW qualification of Certified LabVIEW Developer, ideally Certified LabVIEW Architect ( requirement for Snr System Engineer level)
- Certified TestStand Developer qualification desired but not essential.
- Minimum of 3 continuous year’s practical commercial project experience in, instrumentation & control, industrial automation and ATE is required.
- Firm knowledge and experience of National Instruments embedded systems, including LabVIEW FPGA and LabVIEW Real Time.
- Understanding and practical experience of object-oriented principles.
- Experience with all National Instruments hardware platforms, including DAQmx, cRIO and PXI.
- Practical electrical debug experience.
- Experience in a second language, Python, JAVA, C and C++ is preferred but not essential.
- Must be able to multitask, manage time and prioritise effectively.
- Strong problem-solving skills to analyse the problem and think creatively to provide a solution.
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills are key.
- A results-focused, action-oriented mentality is essential with the ability to deal effectively with customers to deliver successful project outcomes.
- Ability to get along with others and function as a team player as well as work autonomously.
- A proactive, can-do attitude and a positive outlook is vital
- Legal right to live and work in the UK. Sponsorship is not available.
- Must hold a full clean and valid UK driving license.
- Ability to make commercially informed decisions when working on projects with customers.
Reporting to the Head of Systems
To apply for this position please send a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Hardware Engineer - Sheffield - £25k - £35k
We are looking for a Hardware Engineer from an electronic or mechanical engineering background to join our growing team in South Yorkshire.
You will be working as part of the UK’s highest certified engineering design, development, integration and test solution companies providing solutions across a range of industries all over the UK. You will come from a hands on, practical electrical background and have experience in panel building. You will also understand the benefit of shielded cabling and familiar with different types of signals (voltage, mA, etc). You will have great electrical design capabilities and have an understanding of Safety Directives.
Key Skills Required
- basic mechanical design skills for enclosure and panel layouts, CAD
- ability to specify and select components for a build
- competency with power tools
- on-site installation and commissioning experience
- PLC or NI instrumentation and control panel experience and understand the importance of shielded cabling
- able to understand the wider context of a hardware requirement
- great team player
If you are keen to become a key part of an expanding team then please send your cv to email@example.com
Technical Business Development Manager - North of England - £30k - 40k + Commission
We have an immediate need for an innovative, results-oriented person that desires a challenging, fast-paced environment in which to apply their skills. The ideal candidate is highly motivated and possesses a professional attitude and an exceptional work ethic. He or she must also be able to perform with minimal supervision and understand the processes for delivering solutions to our customers on schedule and within budget.
- Working with the Marketing department to generate leads for the company
- Travel between the different offices based in the UK and visit potential clients to sell the benefits of working with our solutions.
- Good understanding of LabVIEW development, National Instruments hardware and complete system integration.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Minimum BEng, BSc Engineering (BSChe, BSEE, BSME, or related discipline), Computer Science, or Applied Physics
- Knowledge of LabVIEW Environment
- Knowledge of National Instruments hardware including RIO, FieldPoint, PXI, and PC-based devices
- Knowledge of NI cRIO, RT, and/or FPGA systems or similar required
- General understanding of a broad range of software languages
- General understanding of a variety of hardware platforms, for test, measurement and control
- Proven track record of sales capability
- Proven ability to work independently as well as a member of a team in a fast-paced environment and contribute to multiple projects
- Excellent communication and phone manner
- Ability to rapidly absorb new concepts and apply them effectively
- 15000 miles travel p.a.
Preference is given to candidates with the following:
Previous experience in a technical sales position
The North of England, UK
Technical Business Development Manager reports directly to the Technical Director
£30-£40K basic salary and exceptional commission structure.
To apply for this position please send a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org Please state the job title of “Technical Business Development Manager – North of England” in the email subject title.
Machine Learning Specialist / AI Developer - London SE1 - 45k
We are looking to employ a motivated and enthusiastic machine learning specialist to be a core part of our research and development team for our client’s energy analysis/disaggregation product.
You will apply the theory of machine learning to help improve the product. You will be working with our engineers to develop prototype products. You will be given great freedom of exploring new ideas and great help from our team.
- PhD/MSc in Computer Science, Applied Math, Statistics, Electrical Engineering or related areas.
- Experience implementing machine learning systems using Python, C++, Matlab or R.
- Understanding of supervised and unsupervised learning, pattern recognition, Bayesian statistics, time series analysis, HMMs and latent variable methods.
- Experience of medium to large projects where you applied principled machine learning theories and techniques.
- Experience in handling large datasets.
- Ability to keep track of the latest research.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
- Good publication record.
- Willing to pick up another programming language.
- Able to work in London.
- Knowledge of Machine Vision or Natural Language Processing is a bonus.
- Experience in LabVIEW is a bonus.
- Experience in deep learning is a bonus.
- Knowledge of electrical and electronic engineering or willingness to learn concepts in power and energy.
- Knowledge/experience of speech recognition is a bonus.
The core activities of this Research and Development role include:
- Applying statistics and machine learning models for energy disaggregation problems.
- Searching for and exploring advanced theory that can solve energy analysis problems.
- Turning theoretical ideas into prototype algorithms.
- Collaborating with our engineers and scientists to turns your code into products.
This is a key role for an exciting company at the top of their field and is commutable from London, Greater London and the Home Counties.
To apply, please submit your CV by email to email@example.com and enter Machine Learning Specialist in the email subject heading. Strictly no agencies please.
Job Type: Permanent
Job Location: London SE1
Salary: £45,000 per year
Required Experience: Machine Learning – 3 years.